Date:      Tue, 05 Jan 2016 13:32:34 +0100 (CET)
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        stableuser@larseighner.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can I get an ISO-8859-1 system back

> I upgraded from 9.? to 10.2. I used a custom kernel to avoid vt and r=
aster =

> fonts in sc. I updated as many ports as would build.
> =

> Now I cannot find an editor that will display my files with accent =

> characters correctly. I know the files are still iso-8859-1 because t=
hey =

> are the same size they were and when I cat them, they have the right =

> characters in them. This also shows that my term (cons25l1) can displ=
ay =

> the characters correctly. But joe, joe2, ee, and pico-alpine seem to =

> convert them to some kind of UTF mess, with two bytes which display a=
s grey =

> blocks.
> =

> I have tried using LC_ALL and LANG as en_US.iso-8859-1 in .login_conf=
, and =

> unsetting them, I have tried several screen maps.

I use "setenv LC_CTYPE no_NO.ISO8859-1" in my .cshrc (yes, I still use
tcsh), and don't set LANG at all, on my 10.2 systems. This works like a=

charm - I can display my Norwegian characters (=E6=F8=E5) both on the c=
ommand
line and for instance in vi etc. No UTF here.

Not at all sure this works with VGA characters though - I mainly use
remote login via ssh.