Date:      Thu, 16 Nov 2017 23:13:15 +0100 (CET)
From:      Tommy Scheunemann <net@arrishq.net>
To:        Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists@tx.rr.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Package database problems
References:  <27599F2948EE17B91E77EB7F@Pauls-MacBook-Pro.local> <CA%2BtpaK2azVgx6yb98ySHFSr015Ngv5oMHT%2B29b_b_u6AbDL9EQ@mail.gmail.com> <82935A8FFB5163556E158535@Pauls-MacBook-Pro.local> <CAOjFWZ5CBOsSWDgrjLh8eeH4bYS_322ne6t=48cEQS7DYka4YA@mail.gmail.com> <8A2775F734F780DEC994C467@Pauls-MacBook-Pro.local> <20171116194924.GB2827@home.opsec.eu> <D818748BC853ABC059C1D3DA@Pauls-MacBook-Pro.local> <20171116203405.GC2827@home.opsec.eu> <DA2044A75F54A978ED2C1408@Pauls-MacBook-Pro.local>

Hi,

first - I would say forget about the directories in /var/db/pkg - when
manually running a "make install" for some port I get such a directory
created as well.
Important is the "local.sqlite" file where everything gets stored.

For your problem, dunno which package pkg refuses to install due to some
conflict, but it might be worth checking /usr/ports/UPDATING - if
you've installed ports - and picking out the problematic port to see what
happened, if documented of course.
For installing something, lurk the package manually and give:

pkg add -f what_ever.txz

a try. Though, backup /var/db/pkg/local.sqlite before doing and hopefully
pkg will recognize the file again as being installed by some package.

Since changes are high your database might still be in a problematic state
if a file belongs to 2 possible packages, remove both of them and
reinstall the right one.

<irony>
For the future it might be worth reading Debian's apt-get and dpkg
documentation to see what will be implemented next.
</irony>