Date:      Thu, 29 Apr 1999 09:23:27 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   (FWD) Re: Progs linked against libstdc++ dead...

----- Forwarded message from Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net> -----
#> Remember you asked. :-)
#>
#> [ patch elided ... ]
#
# Thank you sir! I recompiled cc and friends, then the libstdc++, and
# Shazam! everything works again. Haven't done an extensive test, but KDE
# works and my X10 daemon :-)
#
# Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Note the :-) above, this was said in jest.  The patch reverts
a change that David made to go back to the old, less efficient
C++ vtable support.  I have no doubt David will figure out what
is wrong and fix it.  However, this does bring up a problem that
should probably be discussed a little bit more.

Since the vtable thunks are more efficient and will eventually
be the default, we might ought to stick with them.  David mentioned
that there might be problems with them, but with enough developers
using -current to beat out the kinks we should be able to resolve
them in short order.

-steve

----- End forwarded message -----