Date:      Mon, 12 Jun 2000 11:53:53 -0400
From:      Adam Pendleton <APendleton@vgsinc.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Old DMA problems?

I was looking through the archives, because I know this problem has come up
before, but I couldn't find a solution in any of the articles.  My problem
is this.  When performing the 4.0-RELEASE installation from the ISO image, I
get through all the package selection, disk partitioning, etc. setup, but
when it comes time to actually perform the disk formatting I get this error
on the error console:

ad0: WRITE command timeout - resetting
at0: [attempting?] resetting devices

How can I correct this?  Is it necessary to turn of DMA, and if so, how do I
do that, and what is the penalty for doing that?  This is an AMD K6, with a
generic hard drive.

Adam H. Pendleton
Security Engineer
VGS, Inc.