Date:      Tue, 7 Mar 2006 20:58:49 +0100 (CET)
From:      <pfgshield-freebsd@yahoo.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: amd64 and -fPIC

--- Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org> ha scritto:

> > > Why do you say it's useless?  The point of a static library is for
> > > static linking, and this works fine on amd64 or any other
> > > architecture.
> > >

> > The problem is mixing static and shared libraries: this is perfectly legal
>
> Unjustified assertion.

I need it .. that's enough justification for me ;-). OK... not everyone has the
namespace/library requirements I have (I have to use binaries that depend on
different f77/f90 libraries with the same name), but even when the performance
effect might be measurable, it's overall effect so minor I don't care.

In any case this is not something that can be solved by the ports
infrastructure or even FreeBSD: I agree the solution is NOT to build everything
relocatable by default.

> > and
> > very often desired in most platforms except on amd64
>
>                                                        and other modern
> architectures.

An honest question: I would like to know what other modern architectures
require this, I heard (but I'm not sure) that it's a consequence of the
architecture running both 64 and 32 bit code so.. SPARC64 and ia64 need it too?

   Pedro.

http://mail.yahoo.it

http://mail.yahoo.it