Date:      Mon, 10 May 1999 13:25:46 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
To:        Daniel de Rauglaudre <daniel.de_rauglaudre@inria.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: May I be inspired by your license for my product?

On Mon, 10 May 1999, Daniel de Rauglaudre wrote:

> Sorry if people often ask you this question, but I would like to change
> the license for my product (Camlp4, a preprocessor for the language
> Ocaml, free of charge distributed with the sources), and I would know if
> I am allowed to be inspired by the "FreeBSD Copyright" I found at:
>=20
>   http://www.freebsd.org/copyright/freebsd-license.html
>=20
> changing BSD into INRIA (my company)?

As far as I know you are free to use this license after applying the
necessary modification. I'd be very surprised if you were not allowed to
use it.

> I had decided to use the GPL, but people are telling me it is too
> restrictive, e.g. forbidding people to add it in commercial packages,
> what I don't want to forbid, even if Camlp4 is free.

You may take a look at http://www.daemonnews.org. The issues from April
and May have some articles about this subject.

Regards

//
// Konrad Heuer                                  ____            ___  _____=
__=20
// Gesellschaft f=FCr wissenschaftliche           / __/______ ___ / _ )/ __=
/ _ \
//    Datenverarbeitung mbH G=D6ttingen          / _// __/ -_) -_) _  |\ \/=
 // /
// Am Fa=DFberg, D-37077 G=D6ttingen              /_/ /_/  \__/\__/____/___=
/____/=20
// Deutschland (Germany)                      ----- The Power to Serve ----=