Date:      Mon, 7 May 2001 09:39:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ian Thomas <ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>
To:        James Tapping <james@fr.clara.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd bootdisk

    Did this machine originally have DOS one of its
variants(DR DOS) on it.  I had an old drive that had
an old DOS bootloader on it that I had a heckuva time
removing.  Once the DOS OS was gone it wouldn't see a
filesystem it recognized and would ask for a boot
disk.  I know there is a way to write over the first
part of a disk with dd but I don't remember how(I
think I saw it on this list).  I know it's a long shot
but see if you can get a serial number off the mobo
and find out more info on it.  I have an old IBM
thinkpad that gives me no bios options at all.  It
used to have WIN 3.1 on  it.  Let me know how it turns
out, I'm going to be playing around with two old 486's
myself in the next few weeks.

Ian