Date:      Sun, 18 Dec 2005 13:45:37 +0100
From:      Oliver Brandmueller <ob@e-Gitt.NET>
To:        Fabian Keil <freebsd-listen@fabiankeil.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS UDP mounts on RELENG_6?

--17pEHd4RhPHOinZp

Hi.

On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 04:30:31PM +0100, Fabian Keil wrote:
> Oliver Brandmueller <ob@e-Gitt.NET> wrote:
>=20
> > I'm experiencing problems when trying to mount NFS filesystems from a
> > RELENG_6 server (FreeBSD hudson 6.0-STABLE FreeBSD 6.0-STABLE
> >    #0: Wed Dec 14 16:59:55 CET 2005    =20
> >    root@hudson:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/NFS-32-FBSD6  i386)
> > to either 5.4-STABLE or 6-STABLE clients. mounting works fine, but=20
> > afterwards the access to the filesystem on the client stalls. As soon
> > as I mount the FS with a TCP mount everything works as expected.
> >=20
> > The mounts worked fine on UDP when the server was 5.4-STABLE. There
> > is just a plain GigE switch involved, no firewalls or routing.
> >=20
> > Anyone else experiencing those problems or having an idea?
>=20
> I just copied some files (<200 MB) from a NFS Server running
>=20
> FreeBSD africanqueen.local 6.0-STABLE FreeBSD 6.0-STABLE
> #5: Thu Dec 15 19:31:12 CET 2005
> fk@africanqueen.local:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/AFRICANQUEEN i386
>=20
> without problems. My client runs FreeBSD 5.4, I use GigE as well,
> but no switch.

Which kind GigE Interface do you use? I'm currently checking different=20
things. I have another RELENG_6 machine where everything works fine,=20
which has a slightly older system at the moment. Luckily it's still in=20
the testing phase, so I'm currently updating and see if everything is=20
still working after update. This one has bge interfaces (and is amd64).

The machine with the problem has em interfaces and I've got the feeling=20
the problem is related to the interface. When doing a tcpdump at the=20
time the mount stalls there's an interesting effect: On the client I see=20
outgoing NFS requests only. The tcpdump on the server shows the incoming=20
requests from the client AND outgoing answers from the server, which=20
don't show up at the client then.

I have no other GigE NIC around to put into the original server and it=20
will take some time to do the patching in the datacenter and set up a=20
monitoring port (dunno if the switch is smart enough after all to do=20
that) to sniff from an independent machine.

I'll keep you posted.

- Oliver

--=20
| Oliver Brandmueller | Offenbacher Str. 1  | Germany       D-14197 Berlin |
| Fon +49-172-3130856 | Fax +49-172-3145027 | WWW:   http://the.addict.de/ |
|               Ich bin das Internet. Sowahr ich Gott helfe.               |
| Eine gewerbliche Nutzung aller enthaltenen Adressen ist nicht gestattet! |

--17pEHd4RhPHOinZp

--17pEHd4RhPHOinZp--