Date:      Mon, 26 Nov 2001 08:50:35 +0100 (CET)
From:      Simon J Mudd <sjmudd@pobox.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: gv port builds but fails - needing libpng.so.4 (?)

On Sun, 25 Nov 2001, Kris Kennaway wrote:

[snip]
> > Yes - in fact, gv doesn't even link against libpng, so I'm not sure
> > what's going on with your binary.
>
> I bet gv is actually fine, but the problem is actually with the
> ghostscript port which is used to do the actual PS rendering.
> ghostscript uses png.

That sounds entirely possible.  In fact I'll now update ghostview and try
again.

> The moral of the story is that when you upgrade one port, you must
> cvsup your entire ports collection and upgrade all ports which depend
> on it.

That also sounds sensible.

> The easiest way to do this is probably portupgrade -r

I think my point is this:
- why isn't this enforced by the ports collection?
- why is it currenlty allowed
- why do the ports collection allow you to have two "conflicting" ports
installed at the same time
	- this really causes the problem I've encountered.
	- ideally you shouldn't be allowed to uninstall/upgrade a port
          on which other ports depend, unless as you say you upgrade the
	  dependent ports too.  I think this information should be available
	  at make install or make deinstall time.

Using pkg_tree, I've found that my current system is "a real mess".  I've
not been using FreeBSD that long, since 3.4-RELEASE, and even in that time
I've seen several problems of this type.

In fact while I have 207 packages installed in my system I currently have
240 unsatisfied dependencies (as witnessed by
'pkg_tree | grep unknown | wc -l').

I'm not sure whether I should take this to mean that I shouldn't follow
-STABLE, or quite what, but it does concern me that other packages I
have installed may be in the same situation.  If they are libraries and
only minor version is different then the may be no problem.

This is one aspect where I think rpm is much better.

I know I've taken this somewhat off-topic. Thanks for helping me out on my
understanding of the problem.

Simon
--
Simon J Mudd,   Tel: +34-91-408 4878,  Mobile: +34-605-085 219
Madrid, Spain.  email: sjmudd@pobox.com,  Postfix RPM Packager