Date:      Mon, 10 Dec 2001 06:03:18 -0800
From:      John Merryweather Cooper <john_m_cooper@yahoo.com>
To:        Herve Quiroz <herve.quiroz@esil.univ-mrs.fr>
Cc:        java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Proposal for bsd.java.mk

On 2001.12.10 02:49 Herve Quiroz wrote:
> A few questions...
>
> Does the USE_JAVA variable stand for "requires a JDK/JRE to build" or
> "requires a JDK/JRE to run" ? Do you plan do make any difference ?

Require to run.  I don't believe BUILD_DEPENDS are as critical in the
Java context.  What I'd like to minimize is the need to install every
damn JDK--along with a slew of script files to mangle the environments
for each and every Java application.  Rather, I'd like to see the most
compatible (usually, one of the Java2 ports) JDK/JRE selected for the
given set of applications a user has installed.  Moreover, JDK's are
big, and I'd like the user to have JRE's unless she specifically
indicates the desire to have a JDK environment.

> Also I
> don't understand the meaning of the JAVA_LIB variable. Is this really
> needed by any port so far ? It would be needed if using any third
> party
> compiler such as jikes but in that case the user would have
> (hopefully)
> set the JIKESPATH. Anyway I think there should be an unified way to
> deal
> with JAVA_LIB/JIKESPATH etc so maybe the port being installed should
> handle this additional CLASSPATH. This way, installing any lib would
> also
> mean its jar would be added in the classpath automatically.

For me, that's the object of JAVA_LIB.  If I know the path to the core
Java libraries and the version of the JDK/JRE, I can deduce
${JAVA_LIB}/classes.zip for 1.1.x and ${JAVA_LIB}/tools.jar for Java2.
Moreover, if it's Java2, I can sidestep a CLASSPATH extension by
sticking the new JAR file in the ext/ portion of the Java2 tree.

> Herve

jmc                               ||  MacroHard --                   \
                                   ||     the perfection of form over |