Date:      Sun, 14 Jun 2015 20:53:51 +0200
From:      Rainer Duffner <rainer@ultra-secure.de>
To:        Dave Duchscher <daved@nostrum.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: freebsd-update upgrading 9.2 -> 9.3

> Am 14.06.2015 um 20:51 schrieb Dave Duchscher <daved@nostrum.com>:
>=20
>> On Jun 14, 2015, at 8:59 AM, Rainer Duffner <rainer@ultra-secure.de> =
wrote:
>>=20
>>> Am 14.06.2015 um 15:46 schrieb Dave Duchscher <daved@nostrum.com>:
>>>=20
>>> Trying to upgrade a system from 9.2 -> 9.3 with freebsd-update and I =
get the output below.  Search has seen reports but not solutions.  I =
also tried upgrading to 10.1 and seeing similar issue those the "No such =
file or directory" error only shows up once but is asking for me to =
manually merge lots of unmodified files in /etc.
>>>=20
>>> Anybody have a clue on what is going wrong?
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> Are you on the latest patch-level for 9.2?
>=20
> Looking, I am not at the latest version. Trying to upgrade to the =
latest version breaks things (ssh is the main thing, missing libssh.so.5 =
errors). Ignoring the breakage, I get the same errors. Using the =
freebsd-update script from the latest 9.2 doesn't help.
>=20
> I am guessing a rebuild of the system is necessary. That may have to =
wait for another day.  Thankfully, I can rollback.
>=20
> --
> Dave
>=20

Sometimes, there are updates for freebsd-update itself that are required =
for a -r upgrade.

So, it=E2=80=99s IMO good practice to update to the latest patch level =
and then do the upgrade.
Or at least get the latest version of freebsd-update from somewhere else =
and use that.