Date:      Wed, 21 May 2014 04:10:01 GMT
From:      Nathaniel W Filardo <nwf@cs.jhu.edu>
To:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/189865: [zfs] [patch] zfs_dirty_data_max{,_max,_percent} not exported as loader tunables

The following reply was made to PR kern/189865; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Nathaniel W Filardo <nwf@cs.jhu.edu>
To: Steven Hartland <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
Cc: bug-followup@freebsd.org
Subject: Re: kern/189865: [zfs] [patch] zfs_dirty_data_max{,_max,_percent}
 not exported as loader tunables
Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 00:09:20 -0400

 --wwU9tsYnHnYeRAKj

 On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 09:38:04AM +0100, Steven Hartland wrote:
 > Exposing zfs_dirty_data_max directly doesn't make sense as its
 > a calculated value based off zfs_dirty_data_max_percent% of
 > all memory and capped at zfs_dirty_data_max_max.

 I'm pretty sure the intention is that it is computed that way only if not
 set already -- there's a comparison for =3D=3D 0 before the value is assign=
 ed.
 See arc_init():
 http://fxr.watson.org/fxr/source/cddl/contrib/opensolaris/uts/common/fs/zfs=
 /arc.c?im=3Dexcerpts#L4150

 And in the Old World, the zfs.write_limit_override was similarly exported to
 override the similar computation of zfs.write_limit_max.  That said, no,
 I don't really care too much about this particular tunable; I was just
 mirroring Solaris.
 =20
 > Given this it could be limited via setting zfs_dirty_data_max_max.

 Sure.
 =20
 > The following could be exposed:-
 > zfs_dirty_data_max_max
 > zfs_dirty_data_max_percent
 > zfs_dirty_data_sync
 > zfs_delay_min_dirty_percent
 > zfs_delay_scale
 >=20
 > Would that forfull your requirement?

 It's overkill for my case, but yes, those should probably all be exposed.

 Cheers,
 --nwf;

 --wwU9tsYnHnYeRAKj

 --wwU9tsYnHnYeRAKj--