Date:      Tue, 25 Feb 1997 11:29:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        A Rosina Bignall <bignall@aros.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing FreeBSD

On Tue, 25 Feb 1997, A Rosina Bignall wrote:

> Hardware:  486 DX4-100 with 20Meg of RAM and two IDE drives.
>
> I am trying to install FreeBSD on the second drive.  The first one has
> DOS and a partial installation of Linux (in case I need to go back to
> it because I can't get FreeBSD working ;).  The second one is
> dedicated to FreeBSD and is about 540M in size. I am installing via FTP
> over a PPP link to my ISP.

> I've started the install three times at night or when I'll be gone for
> the day and let it run through the night until I get up in the morning
> to see how things are going.  Everything proceeds without problems,
> that I can see, until it gets to the post-install configuration.
> Specifically, the last time I tried a Novice install (before that I
> had tried custom installs with the same problem) and the problem
> occured when it got to the Samba setup.  It then hangs.  Bouncing over
> to the TTY on F2 I found the following message and continuous beeping:
>
> Debug: Unexpected signal 11 caught. That's bad!
>
> I can exit the install by hitting Ctrl-C, but it leaves me without a
> workable system.

Your system should work.  Have you tried starting by booting the floppy
and typing

wd(1,a)/kernel

to the Boot: prompt?

> What does this error mean and what can I do about it?  Where do I
> proceed from here?

Either something was misconfigured or you have some bad memory and/or
processor cache in your system.  You should be able to boot from the boot
floppy though.

> When you boot the floppy and do the configuration, isn't it supposed
> to save those settings for the next time you boot?  That was my
> understanding at least, but each time I boot from it, I have to make
> the changes again.

They are saved to the kernel on the hard disk, not the floppy.

> Also, is there a digest form of any of the mailing lists?  I'd like to
> follow some of them if I'm to use FreeBSD, but I prefer digests for
> high traffic lists.

I believe there is, try asking majordomo@freebsd.org 'lists' and look for
freebsd-questions-digest or something like that.