Date:      Thu, 17 Jun 1999 17:38:29 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        aa8vb@ipass.net, gnb@itga.com.au
Cc:        emulation@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vnconfig & FAT filesystem -- supported?

>Hmm, except that I just stuck a DOS floppy in the drive, did
>	dd if=/dev/rfd0c of=floppyimg
>and got a file I vould mount via vnconfig/mount -t msdod.
>
>If I understand things right (a big IF!) this doesn't have a slice table etc
>because floppies don't have FDISK labels. IF you dd'd the appropriate disk
>slice only (wd0s1) rather than the whole of wd0, maybe it'd work...
>
>And disklabel etc don't work on files either which is a bit unfortunate!

Sure it does:

	dd if=/dev/rwd0c of=/tmp/foo count=16	# copy a bit of my FreeBSD slice
	disklabel -r /tmp/foo			# must be absolute pathname

Setup for fdisk is a bit fussier:

	dd if=/dev/rwd0 of=/dev/foo count=1	# copy a bit of a disk
	fdisk /dev/foo				# pathname must begin with "/dev"

For the current problem, just configure the vn device to support slices and
labels.

Copying of labels in slices doesn't work very well, so handling images
of FreeBSD slices may require zeroing the old label in the image and
relabeling it in the vn device.

Bruce