Date:      Sat, 12 Feb 2005 12:12:05 +0100
From:      Erik Norgaard <norgaard@locolomo.org>
To:        Peterhin <hindrich@worldchat.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Freebsd vs. linux

Peterhin wrote:
> "Linux is inferior to FreeBSD, and yet it is taken more seriously
> because of the atmosphere around it, despite its technical inferiority"

You can find countless comparisons suporting either as superior - just
the recent mysql benchmark supports linux/gentoo.

This kind of comparison is hardly relevant today, it is almost always
cheaper to throw more hardware on than trying to get the most of what
you have - just how many more machines could you have bought for a
months salary?

I think FreeBSD is superior, not necesarily in every line of code or
every technical detail, and not necesarily in raw performance, allthough
this is often claimed.

I think FreeBSD boosts administrator performance. I spend less time
maitaining my systems and resolving dependencies or debugging, than I
did on RedHat, Debian or Gentoo.

That time is precious, this is where you can save on the IT budget, so
using FreeBSD is a good investment.

Cheers, Erik
--
Ph: +34.666334818                           web: http://www.locolomo.org