Date:      Wed, 20 Nov 1996 15:39:16 +0100 (MET)
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de>
To:        marcus.john@wiesbaden.netsurf.de (Marcus John)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1 GENERIC killing SP3G

Marcus John writes:

> today I tried to do a diskless boot with an ASUS SP3G (DX4) using the
> WC-CD 2.1 GENERIC-kernel (rather old, but OK ;-)).
> It hangs after probing most of the devices. After a reset the ASUS
> does=B4nt even perforn the mem-check, nor does
> it branch to the setup-menu, by hitting DEL.
>
> So, two.5  questions arise:
> 	1) Why??????

Good question.  Certainly nasty.

> 	2) Is the flash-firmware of the ASUS corrupted (and how do I fix it)?

Possibly.  If you have an AMI BIOS, you could try turning power off,
and holding down the DEL key while powering up again.  That used to
reset all options on some BIOSes.  Some other motherboards have a
jumper you can set to completely erase CMOS RAM, which you could try
as well.

Good luck
Greg