Date:      Sat, 18 Aug 2001 04:10:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/29842: Stilted language and improper puncuation in Dialup firewalling with FreeBSD article

The following reply was made to PR docs/29842; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
To: "rsowders@usgs.gov" <root@www-1.wr.usgs.gov>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 13:06:46 +0200 (CEST)

 >Number:         29842
 >Category:       docs
 >Synopsis:       Stilted language and improper puncuation in Dialup
 firewalling with FreeBSD article
 >Confidential:   no
 >Severity:       serious
 >Environment:
 System: FreeBSD www-1.wr.usgs.gov 4.3-STABLE FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE #0: Thu Jul 12
 01:06:31 PDT 2001 root@www-1.wr.usgs.gov:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/WWW6 i386

 The article Dialup Firewalling with FreeBSD contains some stilted language,
 poor grammer, and a few punctuation errors.  Nothing too glaring, but thought
 I would submit this fix anyway.  Unified diff follows.

 >How-To-Repeat:

 >Fix:

 <snip>

 -    <para>Now, let's look at a sample firewall file, and we'll detail
 -      everything in it. </para>
 +    <para>Now, let's look at a sample firewall file, that is commented
 nicely.                                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 ^^^^^^
 +      </para>

 Since "that" as a relative pronoun is used in *defining* relative clauses, I
 am missing the intended sense of the sentence.

 AFAICS:
 1) Either "that" is a demonstrative pronoun (this, that; these, those);
 2) Or you mean "[...] a sample firewall file that is commented nicely" (N.B.
 NO comma).

 If interpretation 1) holds, I am not quite sure whether the sentence is fully
 correct; if 2) holds, the [resulting] sentence sounds a little curious to me
 (or is it just me?:-))

 I was thinking about something like "[...] a nicely and extensively commented
 sample firewall", thus removing the secondary clause.

 Another possibility might be "[...] a sample firewall. Each rule in this
 example is nicely [and extensively] commented."

 Or am I simply missing something?

 -- Salvo