Date:      Sun, 13 Aug 1995 18:03:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   ppp again

OK, I have ppp working maually, and partially automatic.  I can tell it
to dial umsite, and it does it well.  I just need a little more info.

First, the password.  I have to login anyways, to the annex, before I can
issue ppp, so I think the system has my username/password.  Do I need to
put something in ppp.secret, and why?

Second, I can set the address of the tun0 device with that
"set iffaddr 0 0 HISADDR" command, but I want to set the default route to
HISADDR also, don't I?  Note that I have a private ethernet between my
two machines.  I run named on one of them, the one that does the ppp
dialing, and things work fine if I enter two commands (as root) from shell:
route delete default
route add default (I patch in the new tun0 address here).

I tried to add "delete default" and "add default HISADDR" in the linkup
file, but I got error messages indicating it wanted "delete dest gateway"
and "add dest mask gateway".  How do I do what I want?

By the way, doing it all manually gives me perfect net visibility on both
machines, and that's great, especially if I can get it to work automatically.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 (Freebsd 2.0.5-snap-0726) and
(301) 220-2114              | n3lxx (FreeBSD 2.0.5-snap-0622) -- Great!