Date:      Wed, 26 Aug 1998 22:51:15 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        moncrg@ma.ultranet.com, wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        marc@versa.eng.comsat.com
Subject:   Re: NETCCITT sources

My hidden microphone recorded Garrett Wollman (wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu)
saying:

% <<On Wed, 26 Aug 1998 18:35:21 -0500, "Gregory D. Moncreaff"
% <moncrg@ma.ultranet.com> said (with respect to NETCCITT):
%
% > Of course by dropping it FreeBSD is losing
% > some of its heritage...
%
% Not really.  OSI was something that was kluged in by Berkeley fairly
% late in the game, when people still thought it might actually be used
% by somebody.

And, in the world in general, OSI has finally! died the horrible,
protracted death it always deserved.

Back in 93-94, when it looked (to some) like OSI was going to be the
wave of the future, but the TCP/IP internet was starting to grow
rapidly, we had a saying: "OSI - the network of the future.  Always
has been, always will be."  Fortunately, even this isn't true anymore.
OSI is an idea whose time came and went long before the eggheads and
bureaucrats that designed ever produced ANYTHING.

The TCP/IP internet survived and thrived because its entire design
revolved around getting things DONE.  OSI died because it was designed
to death with little or no attention paid to "silly details" like
implementing or using it.

% > I'd really prefer to stick with FreeBSD
% > but might be forced to consider Net/Open...
%
% Don't think we consider this threatening.

Yeah -- the attitude you'll get from most of us here is "whatever spins
YOUR beanie."  NetBSD, OpenBSD, Linux -- sorry we couldn't help.  FreeBSD
has enough projects lying about to keep those who are working on it now
busy for decades, so unless you want to become the champion of netccitt,
don't expect much.

I suspect this is an area that has not gotten much attention in NetBSD
or OpenBSD lately, either, but good luck in your search.