Date:      Mon, 04 Sep 2000 17:58:47 -0700
From:      Rick Berger <rickb@colossus.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Libretto hibernation trials and tribulations

Jonathan Towne <jontow@twcny.rr.com> probably said:
> Simple.. just don't partition the last 32meg of the disk, thats what it
> uses for hibernation.

I believe it's not quite that simple.

A friend with a libretto that was shipped with a 2gb disk partitioned
to 1.6Gb found it wanted to write to the end of the 1.6gb space, so he
kept losing chunks of /var when he suspended ...

I haven't had problems with 4gb drives, making sure there's enough room
on the end for it to write the hiber info (*mine has 64mb memory).

Had a huge problem with a 12gb disk, though.  The bios reports it as
an 8gb drive, so it writes the hiber information at the end of that 8gb,
period.

After many installs and killing the /usr partition umpteen times, I finally
figured out I could only use 8gb less the 64mb required for hiber.

I was trying to partition around it, leaving the 64mb band in the middle of a
couple of useful partitions, but the install kernel setup only allows 3 partitions
on initial configuration and I ran out of patience/time to figure out how to add
more partitions after installation.

So, I'm running a 12gb disk as an 8gb disk, but it's stable and I can move on
to productive things (lost about 3 weekends figuring this much out.)  Maybe I'll
get ambitious and figure out how to add a couple of more partitions when I
get a breather from other things, or upgrade.

rickb