Date:      14 Apr 1997 20:38:10 +0100
From:      Andrew Gierth <andrew@erlenstar.demon.co.uk>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        vmen3237@ss1000.ms.mff.cuni.cz
Subject:   Re: ahc problems w/ xcdplayer?

writes:

 > On 14 Apr 1997, Andrew Gierth wrote:
 >> Selecting "play" on xcdplayer for the *second* time locks the machine
 >> dead. Before it dies, though, it emits these messages:

 Vladimir> I've the exactly same problem. I thought that it could be
 Vladimir> because of an too weak power supply (I've 3 harddisks, 2
 Vladimir> floppy drives, a tapedrive and a SCSI cd), but it seems
 Vladimir> that it's something in the drivers...

I think I've sorted it.

The core problem seems to be timeouts in scsi/cd.c that are too short. The
msfplay command was being issued, but timing out; the ahc driver in 2.2.1R
then ties itself in knots and dies....

(As near as I can tell, on my hardware the command is taking very close to
2s to complete, and the timeout is 2s. This seems to confuse the heck out
of the driver....)

The problem doesn't happen with "play" because the timeout for that is
longer (20s).

My solution for now is to change "2000" to "20000" in the call to
scsi_scsi_cmd in cd_play_msf (sys/scsi/cd.c). Seems ok now.

--
Andrew.