Date:      Wed, 02 May 2007 10:27:22 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        h.schmalzbauer@omnisec.de
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS DOWN

In message: <200705012017.06445.h.schmalzbauer@omnisec.de>
            Harald Schmalzbauer <h.schmalzbauer@omnisec.de> writes:
: Am Dienstag, 1. Mai 2007 schrieb Andrey Chernov:
: > All backed out.
: >
: > Not because I admit they are technically wrong and not because of bug
: > reports (I receive nothing). But because I surprisingly meets so
: > strong opposition and resistance so lost any desire to continue that.
:
: I'm very sorry to hear that. I don't have the skills to comment anything
: technically, but I just wanted to say that I'm suprised that -current is that
: stable for me these days. It's wonderful, but I think making progress in
: standard compliance and/or testing new developed stuff (eg. the new USB
: stack) is much more important than making -current a production branch.
: I'm a friend of standrads and I highly appreciate your work Andrey, and I hope
: we will see your work back in the tree as soon as possible.
:
: Diffrent people do things different, but that's why FreeBSD is what it is
: today. The accummulation of excellent work by excellent people.

The biggest problem with the changes was how and when they were done.
The source tree is in a "code slush" right now before we branch later
this year.  During this period, there's a higher requirement to have
discussions before things are committed.  Given the risks (or
perceived risks) of this commit, people were concerned about it.  I
believe that many of these changes will ultimately make it into the
tree, after proper review and testing.

I'd encourage people who are intested in this issue to join the
discussions on arch@ so that these efforts can be properly
coordinated.

Warner