Date:      Thu, 24 Dec 2015 08:29:20 -0700
From:      Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
To:        Oliver Pinter <oliver.pinter@hardenedbsd.org>, Vijay Rajah <me@rvijay.me>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need help with New Build -- Skylake

On Thu, 2015-12-24 at 12:48 +0100, Oliver Pinter wrote:
> On 12/24/15, Vijay Rajah <me@rvijay.me> wrote:
> >

> > On 12/24/15 12:22 PM, Ian Smith wrote:
> > >   ~2 minutes delay there.  sendmail (mta and msp both) at least
> > > are unhappy about your hostname, and sleep on it.  I don't know
> > > whether
> > > that's significant or related to the longer delay you report.  I
> > > just
> > > skimmed through your dmesg, but didn't spot anything glaringly
> > > obvious.
> > >
> > > FWIW, cheers, Ian
> > Ian,
> >
> > Thanks for taking the time to help me.
> >
> > The delay is (mostly) before the boot loader menu is presented.
> > Once the
> > system starts to boot.. It is pretty fast...
> >
> > When the system boots, after the BIOS hands over the control to the
> > OS..
> > there are 6-7 lines, which give boot loader version etc.. (the last
> > of
> > this gives the details of the build host etc..)
> >
> > Then there is a spinning wheel, an the system just sits there for
> > some
> > time.. (even the wheel spins slowly). after 3-4 mins I see it loads
> > the
> > /boot/default/loader.conf . After this the menu is loaded..
>
> Confirmed this issue, seems like the forth parser or something forth
> related code in slow.
> sec.
>
> This is a Gigabyte GA-H170N-WIFI board. I can test some change after
> Christmas.
>

> > so, the issue is long before this dmesg even begins...
> > Unfortunately, I
> > do not know how to force a verbose boot before the boot menu...
> >
> > -Thanks
> > Vijay

We had exactly this symptom -- long delay with spincursor before
loader.  The problem turned out to be the fact that loader was running
with instruction and data caches disabled, and it took about 90-100
seconds to parse the 547 lines of text (almost all useless) in
/boot/defaults/loader.conf.  We stripped that file down to the dozen or
so lines that actually needed to be there and booting became much
faster.  Eventually we got the caches enabled in the prior-stage
bootloader and it became really fast.

-- Ian