Date:      Tue, 16 Feb 1999 16:50:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD mention in LWN interview with A.C.

Wes Peters wrote:

> Doing a single block transfer of a bunch of files (or changes)
> is always faster than starting numerous different connections to
> transfer individual files.  CVSup has been very carefully optimized
> to use the network resources in an efficient manner, something that
> more general-purpose programs can't (or at least won't) do.

In case anybody is interested, last week I made a brief write-up
describing how CVSup manages to go fast.  Go to here:

    http://www.polstra.com/projects/freeware/CVSup/

and then follow the link "How does CVSup go so fast?".  There is also
some related stuff in the "CVSup in Action" page.  I would welcome
editorial suggestions.  I am probably too immersed in the project to
be able to recognize whether the description is understandable or not.
:-)

John
---
  "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."
                                                            -- H. L. Mencken