Date:      Sun, 11 May 1997 08:20:08 -0700
From:      "Pedro F. Giffuni" <pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   [Fwd: Re: MOSIX on FreeBSD?]

--------------49C371CF1E3C

Good news! Take a look at the site I referenced before:
http://www.cnds.jhu.edu/mirrors/mosix/
Here is the official reply. I really think we have a chance here :-)

Pedro.

--------------49C371CF1E3C

From: Amnon Barak <amnon@cs.huji.ac.il>
Date: Sun, 11 May 1997 09:34:19 +0300 (IDT)
To: amnon@cs.huji.ac.il, pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co
Subject: Re:  MOSIX on FreeBSD?

Hello Pedro:

You asked:
>Are there plans to bring MOSIX into FreeBSD? (http://www.freebsd.org)
>What would be required for this task?

The current implementation of MOSIX works only for BSDI.

The main reason is that among FreeBSD, Linux, NetBSD and BSD/OS,
only BSD/OS is maintained by a commercial company that supports
its product, has one official release and provide on-line support.
As you may know Linux is the most popular among the above for PC's.
However, both Linux, FreeBSD and NetBSD are kind of "moving target",
they change almost daily, they are maintained by the "community" at
large and almost anyone can insert bug fixes or "new features".
This is the main reason why we do not port MOSIX to FreeBSD.

If I can get some kind of assurances that FreeBSD will be managed
by one authority, then I can port MOSIX in few weeks. If I do it
now, then I'll have to spend much efforts to update it, to be
compatible with the frequent changes in FreeBSD.

-Prof. Amnon Barak

--------------49C371CF1E3C--