Date:      Wed, 21 May 1997 10:26:38 -0600 CDT
From:      "Larry Dolinar" <larryd@bldg1.croute.com>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cluster Computing in BSD

And the clouds parted on 21 May 97, and J Wunsch
<joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de> said:

>As Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:
>
>> I don't doubt it, they receive good cash from everything they sell, the
>> problem is that either their products suck (like AIX and AS400), ...
>
>AIX has it's good ends, too.  I would be more than happy to have their
>LVM and JFS in FreeBSD, trust me.
>
>When i ran `shutdown' on an AIX machine some time ago, my colleague
>asked me, apparently astonished: ``Why the heck do you do this?
>Simply turn it off!''  :)

Bet *he* never spent any significant time trying to revive a bootable
filesystem that got trashed by that approach...

>--
>cheers, J"org

We just fired a guy that repeatedly ignored standard shutdown procedures
on one of our Sparc 10's.  His rationale: the Unix for Dummies book
didn't say anything about it.

Good thing I didn't get to him first [diabolical laughter..]

cheers,
larry