Date:      Tue, 26 Aug 2003 21:14:01 -0500
From:      Glenn Johnson <gjohnson@srrc.ars.usda.gov>
To:        Sean_Welch@alum.wofford.org
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Radeon 7500 w/ DRI locking on restart of X

On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 03:31:29PM -0500, Sean Welch wrote:

> I have precisely the same symptoms as what Glenn listed.
>
> I have now tried the forcepcimode option on the laptop and
> unfortunately experienced what appears to be the opposite effect to
> what Glenn noted.  I get a black screen with lots of disk activity.
> I can log in remotely (at least that seemed to work every time) and
> a top listing shows X taking up more and more CPU cycles.  It seems
> to be scribbling to the disk making temporary files as well because
> eventually I couldn't edit the XF86Config file any longer -- I was
> getting a "no space left on device" error.  I ended up taking out all
> options short of disabling DRI altogether and eventually discovered
> the only way I could run with DRI switches on and forcepcimode set
> to true was to unload the agp module from kernel space.  This got it
> started just fine but there was no DRI.  It seems that X is getting
> confused and somehow PCI and AGP modes are duking it out...

Does it work on your desktops?  I do not have agp in the kernel config.
When X starts it loads both the radeon and agp modules, or maybe the
radeon module is loading the agp module.  Either way, both radeon.ko and
agp.ko get loaded up.

Here is some info about my hardware:

- The motherboard is an Abit IS7 (P4c w/865PE chipset)
- The graphics card is an ATI Radeon 9100

Here is the device section of my XF86Config (sans comments):

Section "Device"

        Identifier  "Card0"
	Driver      "ati"
	VendorName  "ATI Technologies Inc"
	BoardName   "Radeon R200 QM [Radeon 9100]"
	BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
	Option      "DDCMode" "true"
        Option      "ForcePCIMode" "true"

EndSection

Finally, here are the first few lines of glxinfo:

name of display: :0.0
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI