Date:      Tue, 5 Nov 2002 09:55:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        "Joel M. Baldwin" <qumqats@outel.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why is my -current system Hard Locking?

Joel M. Baldwin writes:

<...>
 > don't think this is related to the X FP problem ( although I am
 > running X11 ).  There have been many times when I'd walk in the
<...>
 > options         DDB                     #Enable the kernel debugger
<...>

Its likley you are panic'ing in X, and the system is waiting at the
ddb prompt.  But you can't see it or do anything, since X has control
of the graphics and kbd, so it looks like the machine is frozen.

Try adding options DDB_UNATTENDED  to your config.  Or just do
sysctl  debug.debugger_on_panic=0

Both of these have the same effect: they will prevent ddb from stopping
the panic.  Make sure you have a dump device setup to capture a
crashdump.

Drew