Date:      Sat, 10 Nov 2001 09:19:13 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        walton@digger.net
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD lockup accessing serial port on Thinkpad

> Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 04:10:46 -0500 (EST)
> From: walton@digger.net
>

> On Fri, 09 Nov 2001 09:33:13 -0800, "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net> wrote:
>
> > Get the DOS ThinkPad Configuration Utility (also known as 'ps2') and
> > enable the serial ports. If you can boot Windows on the system, the
> > command is "ps2 se enable" for sio0 and something like 'ps2 imo
> > enable' for the internal modem. Use ps2 ? to help confirm the exact
> > command.
>
> Excellent!  This was exactly the problem!
> As it happens, there are two commands for the serial port.  "ps2 se"
> turns the serial connector on the back on and off, and "ps2 sera"
> configures the actual serial port.  My computer had "ps2 se enable"
> and "ps2 sera disable".  Fat lotta good that does.  Still worked in
> Windoze, tho.

Sorry about my forgetfulness. I was working from memory. I did it a
LOT back when I was creating the mwavem port, but it's been a while
since then.

> Oh, and you can disregard the question about my parallel port that I hadn't asked yet...  While I was in there, I enabled the parallel port ("ps2 par enable") and moved the I/O port from 3BC to 378.  It's really amazing how much better it works when it's on...
>
> That PS2 is a really handy utility.  I don't suppose anyone is reverse-engineering it and porting it?

It has been partly ported to Linux, but it involves kernel modules and
a driver and will not be easy to port.

> > Note! The Windows ThinkPad Configuration Utility will NOT do the
> > job. It enables the port on the running system and saves the setting
> > in the registry. It does NOT update the BIOS setting in ROM.
>
> I just hope that booting into Windoze (which I must do on occasion) doesn't reset the changes I made with PS2.  Ever had that happen?

No. The Windows tool changes the running config only and never seems
to touch the BIOS ROM for device changes. (It does seem to save APM
changes, though.)

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)