Date:      Wed, 26 May 2010 18:23:29 -0300
From:      Jesse Smith <jessefrgsmith@yahoo.ca>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@acm.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Port request

On 2010-May-26 09:19:04 -0300, Jesse Smith <jessefrgsmith@yahoo.ca> wrote:
>I was told that requests for new ports should be submitted here.

>Unfortunately, you were misled.  FreeBSD ports are a volunteer effort
>and the general approach is that if you want a port and no-one has
>already created it, you probably need to do it yourself.  You can find
>information on creating a port at
>http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/index.html

I realize there's generally a if you want it, do it yourself approach. And that most people here are volunteers, but I was hoping if interest was expressed, one of those volunteers might take up the task.

> There's
>one tool which I would like to see brought into the Ports system and
>that's Network Manager
>(http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Tools/NetworkManager)
>
>It's the only networking tool I've found so far which will properly
>handle my Novatel mobile modem and I would really like to be able to
>make use of the modem while running FreeBSD.

>That makes you the first person I've run into with anything positive
>to say about NetworkMangler.

I don't see the need to intentionally misspell names to get you point across. Come on, let's be civil here. I accept you don't like the software.

As for users with something positive to say, there are currently several million people who use NetworkManager on a daily basis. Surely they're not all unhappy with it?

>As an alternative to porting NotworkMangler, you might try posting
>a description of your modem, version of FreeBSD and problems you are
>having to freebsd-questions or maybe freebsd-stable.

Thank you, I'll try there. I'd really like to be able to run FreeBSD on my laptop and so far have been blocked by the issue with the modem.

>BTW, there's no benefit in reposting the same question to the same list.

Sorry, that was my fault. I sent the first e-mail _before_ I received confirmation that I was subscribed to the mailing list. I figured the first message had been filtered out and re-sent after I received confirmation.