Date:      Mon, 12 Nov 2001 11:01:03 +1000
From:      "Julian Morgan" <jmorgan@mitchells.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Apache problem AGAIN

Firstly - thanks to ppl on this forum that have helped in previous problems - I
have had three questions - and two were solved directly through you guys   ;O)

I have another though - see if you can help..

Apache, which was pritty easy....  Now that I am running web - I have only
really had to make a couple of changes, server side wise, to get the web pages
to do what I need to do...
For instance

     a link from the base www directory, /usr/local/share/doc/apache/, to the
cgi-bin /usr/local/www/cgi-bin.default

     and

     enabling all .shtml files to be executed SSI style by changing
/usr/local/etc/apache/httpd.conf file to include stuff like
          Options +Includes
          AddType text/html .shtml
          AddHandler server-parsed .shtml

Now for the question...  The next thing I want to do is to have cgi scripts
execute into html pages without the need to bring up a new window..
I have reseached a little so this is what I mean...
I am wanting to get a simple cgi-hit-counter up and running on the opening
page....  I have already got other cgi things working so I know CGI is working
properly on the server...
I can get the counter to work using html code -
<AHREF="cgi-bin/counter.pl">Dynamic page</A> ,  but this brings it up in a new
window - WHICH I DON'T WANT..

In the example code - it says you can put the following line in, and cgi will
execute right on that page
     <!--#exec cgi="cgi-bin/counter.pl" -->

however this does not work
With further reading I found out the following..  Aparently I have to change
some file with the following
          PATH-INFO=/.?????/????

because cgi-proxy man pages warn you that you can not use cfi-proxy to run a
server-side include, the problem
is that way the ncsa http server parses cgi="/cgi-bin/?????/???/"

Could someone please let me know what the file and path is that contains the
PATH-INFO command, so I might have a look and play around with the settings..
I believe I did a make install to the following apache
/usr/ports/www/apache13/work/apache_1.3.19

I have successfully entered commands into /usr/local/etc/apache/httpd.conf to
get SSI working, this last
little bit of config would make a real difference

Please let me know if you can help

Regards
Julian