Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 2015 09:47:46 -0700 (MST)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Matthias Petermann <matthias@d2ux.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, asv <asv@inhio.eu>
Subject:   Re: Vinum ... to oblivion?

On Tue, 24 Feb 2015, Matthias Petermann wrote:

> Am 2015-02-23 20:12, schrieb asv:
>> Hi everyone,
>> I sadly realised that the gvinum section in handbook is gone (possibly
>> since quite a while already). Nonetheless the tool is still available on
>> 10.1-RELEASE.
>> But I don't understand why bringing this valuable tool to oblivion as I
>> don't see other alternatives to (for example) achieve the following:
>> MIRRORING + LVM + UFS2 (with MAC labels)
>
> A bit surprising to me, too. Haven't seen any note on gvinum deprecation. I'd
> also be interested in lightweight alternatives. I currently use gvinum for on
> the fly creation of volumes with UFS2 on a Raspberry Pi with just 512MB of
> RAM.

Here is the thread from July, 2013:
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-doc/2013-June/022216.html

I had proposed and even done the work to make that chapter into a
separate article.  Then I discarded it when it was pointed out that the
existing version should be in the archives.  Which it now... is not.

With some effort, it could be resurrected into an article again.