Date:      Fri, 29 Dec 1995 00:32:16 -0600
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        michles@haven.ios.com, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 3940W adaptec problem....

> > >        I have two Seagate drives, (Fast Wide), which are 4 GB's each...,
> > >and they are on seperate channels on the controller. Will it be necessary
> > >to put it on the first channel, or could FreeBSd, recognize the second
> > >one as well?
> >
> > I think that FreeBSD will see the 3940W as two separate controllers, so
> > you'll probably need two ahc entries (ahc0 and ahc1) in your kernel
> > config file.
>
> I don't think so. The 2742 EISA two channel controller works with ahc0
> and looks at both channels. You don't need a second ahc entry in your kernel.
> I don't have anything on the second channel in the moment, hence the
> empty second probe:

The 274x cards only have one controller (aic7770) and the twin channel 274xT
has two SCSI busses (channels).  The 3940 adapters have two physically
separate controllers (aic7870) which should be found as separate devices
by the PCI probe.  Thus, the two "channels" on the 3940 is like having two
2940 cards in your box.

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org