Date:      Thu, 25 Sep 1997 23:46:17 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How do I check out a snapshot?

> On Thu, Sep 25, 1997 at 07:45:04PM +0930, Mike Smith wrote:
> >> I have the CVS tree here on my system, and I know we've just done a
> >> snap, but I see nothing in the tree to help me determine where, when
> >> or what it is.  What do I need to do?
> >
> > cvs co -D <date> src, then build the release as usual.  Snaps aren't
> > tagged, as this'd fill the tree with more junk and greatly increase the
> > CTM and CVSup traffic.
>
> Sure.  But to repeat the question:
>
>    I see nothing in the tree to help me determine where, when or what
>    it is.
>
> How do I find it out?

You don't.  Due to the nature of the distributed CVS repository, there
is a window where even the exact time of checkout for the snapshot
build might leave you out of sync.  The only way around this would be
for the snap to be built from a tree directly checked out from the
master repository.  Jordan does this for the for-CDROM versions, I
think.

mike