Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 2003 15:35:24 -0600
From:      Josh Paetzel <friar_josh@webwarrior.net>
To:        Steve Warwick <ukla@attbi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Freebsd - restarting itself - followup

On Mon, Mar 24, 2003 at 01:09:19PM -0800, Steve Warwick wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Thanks to all of you that replied so promptly to my question. However I
> think I failed to outline the situation clearly enough so with the responses
> so far in mind...
>
> Question was: Is it possible for FreeBSD to shut itself down and restart for
> no reason?

No.  If it's restarting, there's a reaon.

> - The "new server in question has been running at another facility without
> any problems for about 4 months so I am assuming it is "burned in" and
> stable.

Is it possible the box was damaged in transit?

> - The logs (var/log/messages, /var/log/httpd-error.log) do not show any
> obvious issues such as kernel panics, just a hard restart (/ not dismounted
> correctly)

So heat related issues are possible, also bad ram, video, or PSU.  I've seen
all 4 of those cause spontanious reboots with nothing in the logs.

> - As far as I can tell the box has not been exploited -- if someone we
> restarting the machine via software then / would dismount correctly.

I'm pretty sure that if I had root on a box I could figure out a way to make
it reboot as you are describing.  I'm not saying that's feasable, but it could
happen.

> Further thoughts, suggestions?
>
> TIA
>

> Steve

I'd also agree with the others who said to suspect the power condition at your
colo.

Josh