Date:      Mon, 28 Sep 1998 18:11:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Chuck O'Donnell" <cao@bus.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   short writes in redirects and pipes with ssh-1.2 ?

I am having trouble with ssh-1.2 as built from the ports tree.  ssh
seems to truncate files in a certain size range whenever you use it to
transfer data using a pipe or a redirect. Here is a way to repeat it
on my machine (both machines are running 2.2.6), with a comparison to
the same command using rsh:

---
localhost$ rsh remote_host dd count=61 if=/dev/zero | wc -c
61+0 records in
61+0 records out
31232 bytes transferred in 2.557135 secs (12214 bytes/sec)
   31232
localhost$ ssh remote_host dd count=61 if=/dev/zero | wc -c
   30720
localhost$
---

Note how the statistics report that is normally written by dd to
stderr is missing too. If you drop the count by one, you will get a
good write, but the statistics report is still missing.  Drop it by
one more to 59, and everything works fine.

Any thoughts?

Please cc me in reply, as I am not currently subscribed to the list.

Thanks.

Chuck O'Donnell