Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 1996 18:57:12 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, gpalmer@freebsd.org, ALHACK@am.pnu.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs. Caldera Linux

> > How many non-linux related files were touched for other features that
> > changed between 2.1R and 2.1.5?
>
> Lots.  Maybe 'touched' was a poor word.  Many files were 'fixed' in the
> 2.1 -> 2.1.5 upgrade, but very few new features were added, and a couple
> of them shouldn't have been (/dev/random stuff).  The ELF stuff is *new*
> code, and as such doesn't fit the bill for the 'target' of the stable
> release.

OK, I can accept this.  It means that there is really little value
in 2.1.5R vs. 2.1R (from my personal point of view, anyway), but it
is a solid, rational position.

> > I don't think a "weight of printout" argument is really applicable in
> > this case.
>
> It certainly is.  The 'weight of printout' implies that the code is both
> new *and* fairly untested on a large scale.

No, it implies that the "number of files touched" is an arbiter of
whether or not a change is a good one or not.

I liked your rational approach (bugfix, not feature add) better.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.