Date:      Tue, 30 Dec 2003 13:26:44 +0100
From:      Joan Picanyol <lists-freebsd-current@biaix.org>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fsck on reboot in 5.x

* Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com> [20031230 05:35]:
> > WARNING: R/W mount of / denied.  Filesystem is not clean - run fsck
> > WARNING: R/W mount of /fs/tmp/mount denied.  Filesystem is not clean - run fsck
> > WARNING: R/W mount of /fs/home/mount denied.  Filesystem is not clean - run fsck
> > WARNING: R/W mount of /fs/std-var/mount denied.  Filesystem is not clean - run fsck
> > WARNING: R/W mount of /fs/aegee/mount denied.  Filesystem is not clean - run fsck
> / shouldn't appear in this list. Can you show us your fstab? It seems as
> if the pass numbers are wrong.  fsck uses the pass numbers in fstab to
> figure out what filesystems to check when.
[joan@iaeste-catalunya:~]0 $cat /etc/fstab
# Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump    Pass#
/dev/ad3s1b             none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/acd0               /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
/dev/ad0s1a             /               ufs     rw
/fs/base/dev-mount      /fs/base/mount  ufs     ro
/fs/apps/dev-mount      /fs/apps/mount  ufs     ro
/fs/tmp/dev-mount       /fs/tmp/mount   ufs     rw
/fs/home/dev-mount      /fs/home/mount  ufs     rw
/fs/std-var/dev-mount   /fs/std-var/mount ufs   rw
/fs/package/dev-mount   /fs/package/mount ufs   ro
/fs/aegee/dev-mount     /fs/aegee/mount ufs     rw
/fs/scratch/dev-mount   /fs/scratch/mount ufs   rw

Looks like Pass# column is certainly wrong, reading the man page
suggests that / should be 1. I'd have /fs/std-var/ second and the
others afterwards. Will the fs's be remount rw as per fstab after
bgfsck?

On a related isue, what does fsck do with fs's on vinum volumes with
regard to sequential/parallel fsck'ing?

> > So, can anyone enlight me about how to make FreeBSD postpone rw mount of
> > dirty fs's until bgfsck has finished?
> bgfsck doesn't kick off until the filesystem has been checked for any
> critical issues. In your case, it appears that something is keeping fsck
> from executing.
I saw /some/ bfsck running, but ISTR that not for all fs's. I'll test
again when I get to the console after modifying fstab.

tks
--
pica