Date:      Tue, 03 Feb 2004 16:23:37 +0000
From:      Peter Risdon <peter@circlesquared.com>
To:        Danny <lists@brenius.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Communication (Mail Gateway concept) with MS Exchange

Hi,

I'm coming into this slightly late, but you can use fetchmail to
hand-roll a solution or (I expect) to collect mail for IMGate. Fetchmail
can collect from a POP3 mailbox and forward using SMTP (fetchmail
keyword: smtphost) to an Exchange server on a private ip address on a
LAN. To the Exchange server, it's as though it were the mail exchanger
for the domain, fetchmail is transparent. So mail gets delivered to
individual mailboxes as normal. You can also tell fetchmail not to add
any headers, such as Received (keyword: set invisible).

If there is scanning in the system, fetchmail can respond rationally to
most of the error messages generated.

This is a very quick and simple basic solution to the overall issue, but
doesn't give you spam or virus scanning. You could set those up on the
same gateway machine using a system that (like IMGate) wants to act as a
forwarder, scanning and then sending on to another (defined) smtp server
(your Exchange machine). There are lots of these about, including
IMGate. From a glace at the IMGate website, I'd have thought you could
install fetchmail without repercussions. If not, there are other
scanning packages available. Exact choice depends whether you want to
use a commercial or a free system.

PWR.