Date:      Fri, 20 Dec 2002 14:28:39 +0100
From:      Emiel Kollof <coolvibe@hackerheaven.org>
To:        Ulrich Spoerlein <q@uni.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More information (was Re: pthread woes)

On Friday 20 December 2002 14:19, Ulrich Spoerlein wrote:
> On 2002/12/20-13:53:09 Emiel Kollof wrote:
> >> % cc -o gtktest gtktest.c `gtk-config --cflags` `gtk-config --libs`
> >> % ./gtktest
> >> (1)%

> >Interesting. What is your XFree86 port version? Was it a package from a
> >remote pkg_add or did you compile from ports? Is your X port/package older
> >or newer than XFree86-libraries-4.2.1_5?
>
> XFree86-libraries-4.2.1_5 build from ports with base gcc
>
> %gcc --version
> 2.95.4

Hmm, same as me. I got:

gcc version 2.95.4 20020320 [FreeBSD]

> which compiler? did you touch /etc/make.conf? make sure your CFLAGS
> settings are sane.

Same version as yours. Relevant bits in my make.conf:

CPUTYPE=p2
CFLAGS=-O3 -pipe
CXXFLAGS+= -fmemoize-lookups -fsave-memoized

I also have the GXX matrox drivers enabled (since I own and use a Matrox G450
card) in the server port, but that shouldn't matter, I think.

> >Also, I find it very strange that even very simple X apps need full blown
> >POSIX threading all of a sudden.
>
> that's strange indeed.

Exactly.

I'm going to try nuking X alltogether from my system and start from scratch
again, and try to see if this happens again.

Cheers,
Emiel
--
Emiel Kollof <coolvibe@hackerheaven.org>
Platform agnostic git, *NIX crash test dummy,