Date:      Sun, 2 Mar 1997 11:12:16 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jamie Bowden <jamie@inna.net>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2, 3.0 pkg_manage - where are you :-(

On Sun, 2 Mar 1997, J Wunsch wrote:

> As Jamie Bowden wrote:
>
> > Shame that seems to be broken.  On three different installs now, two over
> > ftp, and one from a cd I burned, sysinstall will freeze during package
> > installation.  Everything seems to be fine, and it starts installing
> > packages okay, but it will freeze up after about 10 packages or so.
>
> Hmm.  What says your console (Alt-F2)?  If it says ``out of
> processes'', i wouldn't be surprised.  sysinstall runs as init, but
> i've seen the above one time as well, due to there being many zombies
> around.  Apparently, sysinstall isn't very interested in the death of
> its children.  OTOH, it _sometimes_ is interested, and that was enough
> to defeat the idea to install a global SIGCHILD handler.  (Been there,
> done that.)

Itlooks normal, except that it's no longer having any output written to
it.  I go to alt-f4, and I can look at the process table, and see that
everything looks normal.  The ps table shows ~5 processes or so, but
since sysinstall is init, and does alot internally, I didn't expect to
see much more.  Running it on an already built machine, and going into
the packages area and telling to add more (or even finish the ones it
missed) will cause it to freeze.  As I stated above, it starts off just
fine, either getting the package from a cd, or ftp site just fine,
showing transfers, reporting on pkg_add, etc.  Then it just hangs.

Jamie Bowden

Network Administrator, TBI Ltd.