Date:      Mon, 14 Jun 2004 18:30:53 +0200
From:      Geert Hendrickx <geert.hendrickx@ua.ac.be>
To:        Jon Adams <jonaadam@nova.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipfw (was Re: Newbie Issues (networking w/ FreeBSD))

> off the topic, if anybody could point me at how to build ipfw I would
> appreciate it, i have seen the basic tutorials via google, but have no idea
> where to get the kernel sources to do the install.

You don't need any additional stuff, it all comes with FreeBSD.  Either you
load the kernelmodule with "kldload ipfw" or you compile the code into your
kernel by adding "options IPFIREWALL" to your kernel-configuration.  Be warned
though that IPFW defaults to deny any connection, so either begin with an
"open" type of firewall or load a ruleset, otherwise you'll be cut off the
network.

It's all in de Handbook (as always), see
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/firewalls.html, or
/usr/share/doc/en/books/handbook/firewalls.html.

GH