Date:      Sun, 01 Feb 2009 11:41:48 +0100
From:      Sebastien Chassot <sinux@fsfe.org>
To:        FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Scot Hetzel <swhetzel@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: how remove old lib in "portupgrade -fr libxcb"

On Sat, 2009-01-31 at 16:55 -0600, Scot Hetzel wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 4:12 PM, Sebastien Chassot <sinux@fsfe.org> wrote:
> >
> > hi,
> >
> > I've portupgrade my system and as said in UPDATING  I launched the
> > portupgrade -rf libxcb.
> >
> > I did it twice and my applications still are linked to libxcb.so.1 and
> > libxcb.so.2
> >
> > I found out that libxcb.so.1 is in /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg/ and
> > libxcb.so.2 is in /usr/local/lib/
> >
> > I don't know how remove this old lib and despite lot of portupgrade -f
> > xxx it's still there.
> >
> > How can I solve this issue?
> >
> Sounds like several of the libraries that your applications require
> are still linked to the old libxcb.so.1.
>
> Use this to find all libraries that are still depending on libxcb.so.1
>
> (for i in /usr/local/lib/lib*.so ; do echo -n "$i:" ; ldd $i | grep
> "libxcb.so.1" ; echo ; done) | grep libxcb > libxcb.log
>
> Then rebuild all ports that contain these libraries.

I didn't rebuild all ports listed by your command but even after a clean
reinstall, "portupgrade -f",... ports that I've rebuild remain linked to
libxcb.so.1 and libxcb.so.2

Something stick somewhere...

I don't know how compat work but are port looking for old lib in build
process to stay compat and could cause this issue?