Date:      Thu, 22 Aug 2002 04:17:44 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Don Lewis <dl-freebsd@catspoiler.org>
Cc:        mb@imp.ch, sos@freebsd.dk, marks@ripe.net, ktsin@acm.org, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Memory corruption in CURRENT

Don Lewis wrote:
> At the moment I'm running a set of buildworlds with an August 6th
> kernel, just to verify the problem that I'm seeing isn't something new.
> When I'm done with that, I'll reduce the RAM from 1G to 512M and try
> again.  I'll also try the DISABLE_PSE and DISABLE_PG_G options.

Please do these seperately.  Changing the amount of RAM is only
indicative, not diagnostic, so it's just additional information,
if it does anything, instead of nothing.

With Matt Dillon's changes to machdep.c to do auto-tuning, changing
the amount of RAM is much less likely to work around the problem,
unless you hit the stair function at just the right point.

-- Terry