Date:      Tue, 2 Mar 2004 20:12:48 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@queasyweasel.com>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        David Schultz <das@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Another conformance question...  This time fputs().

--Apple-Mail-13--951762788

On Mar 2, 2004, at 8:04 PM, Bruce Evans wrote:

> One is vfprintf(), which may output to non-files.  Oops, so can
> __svfwrite().  The underlying function isn't always write(2).  EBADF
> is a very bogus errno if the output is not to a file.  It can be to a
> string or anything set up by funopen()/fropen()/fwopen().  Strings are
> writable, so they don't cause a problem here, but anything set up by
> fropen() or funopen() without a write function is unwritable and
> returning EBADF is wrong for it.

So, what fix are you suggesting?  I'm truly open to suggestions here,
but if all we end up doing at the end of the day is concluding that
things are broken but we don't like any of the proposed fixes, we've
not really accomplished anything either.   I'd more than welcome any
diffs to supersede mine.

--
Jordan K. Hubbard
Engineering Manager, BSD technology group

--Apple-Mail-13--951762788--