Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 2002 13:16:33 +0100
From:      j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
To:        Christopher Elkins <chrise@scardini.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Web services, Java, and FreeBSD questions

| Unless you have a specific desire to learn SOAP (the protocol, not the
| Apache project of the same name), you might consider looking at XML-RPC

I took a look at XML-RPC, and you are right, that seems to be just what
I am looking for.  I wanted the simplest way to build a web service, and
it looks like that's what I need to do it.  I also wanted to avoid
running a full-blown Apache server just to make a few RPC calls.

| My recommendation: get your feet wet with either Apache XML-RPC or
| Apache
| SOAP. Then, if you're still interested start learning JAXRPC.

After looking at the comparison, I can see there is a rather steep
learning curve to parts of SOAP, and also a lot more than I need for
what I want to do.

Can XML-RPC be made to work via http?  For example, my university web
account has a firewall that keeps my applets from contacting the
servlets I've written.  I'd like to be able to attach a web service (a
very simple arithmetic calculator) to the URL for my web page.

So, if my web page is www.foo.edu/~jcm, I'd like to be able to set up
an XML-RPC web service on www.foo.edu/~jcm/calculator, without needing
to run another full-blown webserver, which I don't think I'm allowed to
do anyway.  Is this feasible?

jm
--
My other computer is your windows box.