Date:      Sat, 15 Apr 1995 11:05:39 +0900
From:      Toshihiro Kanda <candy@kgc.co.jp>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   pppd: How can I use PAP/CHAP?

  Hi.  Someone please tell me how to authenticate my pppd to the peer
by PAP/CHAP?
  I'm using pppd quite well, but when I tried to connect to
WindowsNT's PPP server, it seemed that my pppd failed to authenticate
itself.  Of cource I have an account for NT PPP server.  The server
uses PAP/CHAP.

  I tried three ways, though they all failed.  Any suggestions?

(1)
     $ cat foo
     my-id
     my-password
     $ pppd +ua foo [device, speed and options]

(2)

     $ cat /etc/pppd/pap-secret
     my-id   *   my-password
     $ pppd user my-id [device, speed and options]

(3)

     $ cat /etc/pppd/chap-secret
     my-id   *   my-password
     $ pppd name my-id [device, speed and options]

candy@kgc.co.jp (Toshihiro Kanda)