Date:      Mon, 17 Apr 2000 14:25:34 -0400
From:      "Mitch Vincent" <mitch@venux.net>
To:        "Nicolau Werneck" <nwerneck@net.em.com.br>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: C libraries

> Hi.. I've recentely installed FreeBSD in my other computer, and
> I'm trying to compile the C programs I made before under DOS.
> Suprisingly for me, the GCC compiler couldn't find the "conio.h"
> library!

Let me guess, you're trying to clear the screen? :-)

There isn't a conio.h header in *ix (at least none that I've ever seen).
Clearing the screen in a *ix program is still -- interesting to say the
least :-)

> Are the libraries used in C under FreeBSD much different from
> under DOS?? What are the main diferences between a C program
> made to run under FreeBSD and one made to run under DOS?

Other than FreeBSD being a totally different, Unix-like multi-user
multi-tasking OS --there are no differences.

(read the sarcasm there :-) )

There are huge differences, way too many to get into here...

If you know  already I suggest you grab a Unix programming book (W Ricard
Stevens' "Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment" being among the
best).

-Mitch