Date:      Wed, 21 Jul 2004 09:33:25 +0100
From:      alan barrow <alan.barrow@psineteurope.com>
To:        Kenneth Stailey <kstailey@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: anybody try a Newisys box?

As far as I understand newisys make board level changes to add specific
functionality to the system. But the system is based on a tyan 2882
mobo, with the IPMI card.

We have the 2882 mobo working with the IPMI card using consolue
redirect. Full functionality of the IPMI can be achieved by deploying a
windows box in the same LAN as the IPMI enabled servers, you can then
connect to the controller and manage the servers.

We prefer the serial option, as this still gives you BIOS level remote
control, and boot -restart visability from the worse case "system
freeze" (which we have never had.)

The 2882's sent out by tyan do require a BIOS upgrade to V2nnn and above
to work properly with RAID cards and an IPMI properly.

yours a.r.b.