Date:      Tue, 3 Feb 2004 23:22:49 -0800
From:      David Schultz <das@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Wartan Hachaturow <wart@tepkom.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-standards@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCCS and batch environment utiltites.

On Wed, Feb 04, 2004, Wartan Hachaturow wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 07:38:32PM -0800, David Schultz wrote:
>
> > That said, I don't see any reason SCCS
> > has to be in the base system unless FreeBSD is actively seeking POSIX
> > certification.
>
> Exactly that was a question I tried to rise -- are we actively seeking
> POSIX certification, or just trying to be "mostly compatible"?
> Considering also the fact that FreeBSD is, perhaps, the closest
> to that state between other free un*xes.

No, I don't think certification is even on the radar.  It would
cost a lot of time and money and carry little benefit.  I believe
our official goal is to conform to POSIX to the extent that it is
reasonable to do so (i.e. almost all cases), and conform to the
lesser standards as convenient.

The important thing is to run portable applications in FreeBSD and
provide the standard set of tools, not to be able to advertise
that we're a UNIX.  Anyway, in light of recent events, I
understand that UNIX isn't the greatest marketing buzzword
anymore...